Thursday 3 March 2011

Corrupt Optimism



Things have been slowly coming undone, I can feel it. The more I tell myself "what's the point in stressing out," the more I stress out. I haven't been able to feel anything other than anger or lust for a long time. I thought I felt hope momentarily while tracking the events unravelling in Egypt but that turned into despondency when I saw how the world and the media was responding to the pro-democratic protesters wanting their freedom. Looking at them with shame and no understanding. Videos and pictures inundate the news media with seemingly hundreds of muslims praying to mecca, while inconspicuously blocking the pictures and videos of the christians watching over them, protecting them from corrupt Egyptian police, and an intrusive army. Constant portrayals of flags with the words "Go Mubarak" being held by brave civilians but very seldom do you see the flags of the Islam crescent moon and the Christian cross intertwined beautifully as if screaming to the world, "Please hear us! This is not about religion."


A protester in a video I watched spoke urgently the words, "Whether you are Christian, whether you are Muslim, whether you are Atheist, You will demand your goddamn rights, and we will have your goddamn rights, one way or another. We will never be silenced."


I never considered myself a person who was overly sympathetic or filled with understanding even, but I truly feel naked and ashamed of humanity when I see others judging people for their Religion. Or when I see other's opinions and beliefs being forced on people, like what has been done to the people of Egypt for 30 years. Imagine that, 30 years. In the time that Mubarak "served" Egypt, the United States has had 5 different Presidents. All these people want is a chance to choose who represents their country.


I did not want my first blog on this to be such a political one that may turn people off from wanting to read, but this is what has been troubling me recently. I also want to make a point in saying that I am aware there are some Muslim extremists who follow the Koran word for word, but they represent a minority. They may be a convincing minority with a lot of power at their disposal but a minority nonetheless. We as a world need to open our eyes to the brutal injustice and backwardness of many countries of the middle east. I can say this confidently and knowledgeably because I am from the middle East. And all I want for all good people residing there is the ability to freely share their opinions and beliefs without the worry of prosecution and punishment. All I want is a democratic playing field where people can choose who represents them as a people. But maybe I am being too optimistic. I always thought religious fundamentalism to be silly though, which is why I suppose I get very bothered when I see people using it as a generalizability tool.

Todays Tea: Chai

More soon,


Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment