Thursday 3 March 2011

Fear is Defeated (Hopefully for good)



Hey Mubarak, don't let the door hit your poor ungrateful ass on the way out! 

Yes, Yes, Egypt is free from that good for nothing, corrupt tyrant. Sorry for the intense delay. This blog should have been posted around 12PM on Friday when he actually did resign. Of course (as my luck would have it), I've been watching nothing but the news for the passed 3 weeks, eating, talking, and breathing the hope of a democratic Egypt, and OF COURSE he decides to step down during the 2 hours that I'm in class, and away from my television!! So I had to hear about this amazing changing of history and (possibly) the world over a freaking text message from a friend! Nonetheless, I was jumping up and down when I found out.

Of course this elation lasted for a few hours and then I started to become fearful and nervous. I mean the revolution is only in its infancy. Despite the overwhelming opinion that this is not like 1979 Iran, and despite the statistic that shows the Muslim Brotherhood only has about 25% of the votes if they do choose to run in the (hopefully) truly democratic elections in Egypt, there is still always that nervousness and worry that people should feel and be cautious of.

The protesters do seem to trust their Military council though, and they say that they will keep protesting until they incorporate some of the key civilians into discussions for re-writing the constitution, and having talks with opposition leaders. And hope does seep back in knowing that the two Military officials are pretty secular in their beliefs. Nonetheless, the people of Egypt should be vigilant, and should work tirelessly to force cooperation with Military council and to move this (previously thought improbable) revolution into a Democratic Egypt. I hope hope hope this is the beginning of the end of Islam theocracy in the Middle East and the beginning of something beautiful where people of all backgrounds, beliefs, religions, sects, ect..can live together without the fear of prosecution by others trying to impose their own beliefs and faiths on them. I may sound like a complete hippy but I don't care! I feel hippy-ish.

I should get back to studying.

Todays Tea: Orange Pekoe

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment