Wednesday 9 March 2011

On the Topic of "Respect"

So what I have noticed from talking to people close to me is they all seem to point to one huge criticism they have that I am not respecting people's opinions and beliefs about religion and such. Now this kind of got me down, because I really pride myself on trying my best to understand and put myself in other people's position. But in all honesty, they are mostly right. I don't have respect for many of the fundamental guidelines of the major religions, or people that follow them religiously (no pun intended)....and why would I? When you look up the definition of respect, the same word that keeps popping up is "esteem"-having esteem for such and such. In a nutshell the word respect denotes showing consideration or appreciation for something/belief/ect.... So in reference with that definition, hell no I most certainly do not have respect for Religion, which is why I say the things that I say, and its why I write the things that I write.


Another reason is the mere fact that it is my view and my thought, and I have the right to express it. All over facebook for example, I find people promoting their views I do not agree with: People posting daily quotes from the bible, people arguing about how stupid vegetarianism/veganism is, people making really hurtful homosexual slurs, ect. And I am not crying over it, or silently messaging them that they should "respect other people's opinions." Why? Because they want to express themselves, because expressing yourself and something you are passionate about (for me, atheism, evolution, freedom of speech) FEELS GOOD. Am I not entitled to express myself and my views like everyone else? Should I be silenced because I'm hurting your feelings? Tough, deal with it. Say what you want about my views, it wont phase me because I am secure in them, which is way more than I can say about most religious fanatics.


I used to live in this polite box where I believed I should keep my disbelief quiet and show respect for other people's beliefs no matter how fucked up I thought they were, and I can tell you straight up with no hesitation, after reading and reviewing  some of the fundamental groundwork of Islam, Judaism and Christianity, I was WRONG! Clear cut. Hell no, I have no respect for those beliefs. Respect cannot be generalized like that. If a guy came up to you and said "I hate black people, because white people are superior, and I think all black people should be forced to live on one continent away from all the white people," are you going to reply, "Oh well sir, I disagree but I respect your opinion." FUCK NO! Assuming you are not a fellow douche bag yourself, you will probably respond by saying, "You racist prick, get the fuck out of my face before I stab you in the eye."


In similar taste, why the hell should I respect a religion that denotes homosexuality as demonic and sinful? Why should I respect a religion that equates women as being nothing more but the "brickwork in hell"? Why would I respect the opinion of an asshole that believes he has the right to physically abuse his wife whenever he deems necessary because his holy prophet said it was okay? Why would I respect a religion that teaches the earth is less than 14,000 years old? Why the fuck would I respect a religion that presented gang rape, sodomy, and homicide of a women as a religious experience? I could go on....


So, am I supposed to just give respect to anyone who agrees with these things or supports a religion that houses them? Just because its their religious belief/opinion? Should I just stay quiet and fake respect and appreciation for opinions or beliefs even if I wholly and fundamentally disagree with them? Because I'm pretty sure thats called hypocrisy, kids.


So no, I will definitely not be hiding the fact that I have zero respect for any organized religion that I personally see as being malign to society, the world, and in most cases clearly violates basic human rights. So I will continue to post as I learn more and more about the the topic, and other relevant topics that fascinate/annoy me. 


I highly recommend and urge others with like opinions to not be scared, and speak up. This lingering taboo that surrounds talking about religion needs to be put to bed, once and for all. 


And let me just clarify, yes I DO want people to hear what I am saying and take my opinion into consideration. But I am NOT just looking for mindless nods and "respect." It's not like I'm fucking stopping muslims on the street and laughing in their faces. Its not like I'm preaching atheism in a church. This is my blog (just like my facebook page is MY facebook page). If you happen to stumble upon either of them and get really insulted or pissed at my "beliefs," then don't read my blog. Better yet, get off the fucking internet.


Todays Tea: Sencha with thyme.


Until next time, get informed about something.
http://extraordinary-claims.com/


.

No comments:

Post a Comment