Monday 7 March 2011

Movie Night

So it turns out I am a fucking idiot and I should have booked my Alaska cruise when I first fucking looked at the damn prices back in November. It seems like it is slim pickings now and will only get worse as time passes by. So I have decided to give up on the idea that I could book this thing by myself, and get a travel agent, which in hindsight, I should have done a long time ago. Ideally, what I am looking for is 8 nights cruise, where you sleep on the boat every night and your food is included in your purchase, which I think all cruise lines offer. The complexity comes into play when deciding which day to leave, what kind of room you want, and how exactly to synchronize the flight to and from Vancouver with the departure and arrival of the ship. This will be the biggest bitch to overcome, but I'll just leave it to the travel agent I suppose. With school, and grad school looming over me, I don't have time to think of this shit right now. Plus there is the very real possibility I will have to share a room with someone, and this is honestly the last thing I want. But I am determined, I need to go.

Well, today I had to go all the way to school to run two lousy participants. It was supposed to be a worthwhile day, because I was going to drop by my old Religion Professor who taught me South Eastern Religions way back during my first year at University. And I was pretty nervous, because I was very much intimidated by him. Not only was he the sweetest, coolest, elder man who is 65 years old and still teaching, but he was an atheist as well who mentioned that being so gave him the ability to view and study religions rationally. He also said his whole world is teaching and plans to do it until he just dies one day during a lecture haha H is that cool.

Unfortunately, I got there just as his office hours were starting (thinking I could catch him right away and we could talk without interruption), but just my luck, he had 8 other students waiting outside, which he ushered in to his office, because I guess he figured it would be a lot more efficient to have a mini-conference with everyone present rather than conversing one by one. I would have gone in as well, but at least 3 of the girls were wearing the scarf crap on the heads, I mean hijab, so I obviously did not want to blatantly offend anyone, especially when is is no longer my professor, so I left. But I plan to make an appointment with his maybe sometime next week. I am just really fascinated by his years, and YEARS of studying religions and the places he has been. I would also love to learn when he chose reason over fairy tales (I mean Religion) in his life.

Later I went over to my sisters place and watched (in a row) 127 Hours and then Fantastic Mr.Fox. Both were very, very well done. Having said this, I would never watch 127 hours again. It was completely uncomfortable to watch. I was literally cringing and extremely tense the ENTIRE move. Not one second did I relax. The whole film is a build up (literally) to the inevitable cutting off the arm scene, which may I say Danny Boyle (director) could NOT have made more authentic if he tried. It was....very very hard to watch. And I am absolutely not surprised that many people who watched it in theaters were puking int he aisles, although it never came to that for me, because after all, I am not too turned off by blood. It was the excrement, and the dull knife that really sank down into my nerves. But on the bright side boys, taking your girlfriend to see it will guarantee you some very close contact and squeezing all throughout the film haha. AND the fantastic Mr. fox was very well done, but if you have not seen/or like anything by Wes Anderson than you may take a while to warm up to the writing and the humor. Nonetheless if I had to describe it in one word: Charming would be it. Plus you cant go wrong with the cast.

Now, I should get some sleep. I have to wake up tomorrow pretty early to watch Men who Stare at Goats with my brother in law. This movie I am really, really excited to see.

Fuck my movie list has surpassed ridiculous at this point:
Blue Valentine
The King's Speech
Love and Other Drugs
Never Let Me Go
The Fighter
Winter's Bone
The Kids are Alright
Killing in the Name
...I could go on, but I am tired.

Also, the feature on the Discovery Channel on sunday (Earth: The making of a planet) was spectacular. I highly recommend it. It is an awesome way to spend two hours of your time.

Todays Tea: Jade snow (which I purchased 74grams of today) :s

Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment